So, here's my attempt to create a sort of post-modern occult
environment. it's intended to be a futuristic occult that has
post-modern and transhumanist underpinnings. These are all set pieces
that may or may not interact directly with each other, and may or may
not interact with other occult systems.
I'm looking for comments, critiques, suggestions, variations,
extensions or whathaveyou.
The key guiding principles of these is that they are:
* They are anthrocentric, or at least 'sapiocentric'
* None of these are reserved for special individuals - all of these
are available to any people who have the right equipment and/or
training. Some will have talents for parts of it, of course, but no
more than people have talents for any other human endeavor
* These are all intended to have a pseudo-scientific flavor
(especially using modern computing ideas) without actually being
scientific - they are intended to be ephemeral and not completely
* They have a 'technological' philosophy. That is, they all have an
underpinning of extending human capability through the creation of
things. The source of power is not psionic (based on strength of mind
or will) but based off of taking simple supernatural capabilities and
using those to build capabilities and modify the self.
The Cloud is an overlay on top of mundane reality. It is an emergent
property from high densities of ordered electrical fields.
Combinations of electrical fields of machines, people, wireless
transmissions, radio/TV waves, etc. pile up until they hit some sort
of threshold, and the Cloud emerges as a sort of 'astral plane' that
is coexistent with the physical world. Humans with special
modifications (the most successful is a complicated process of
impregnating the nervous system with conductive materials) can sense
Cloud stuff and manipulate it.
Features of the Cloud:
* All matter has some level of reality in the cloud (given the basic
electric nature of matter). The more electrical energy matter has, the
more 'dense' it is in the Cloud. Similarly, the more complex the
fields, the more dense they are. High voltage lines are very dense due
to their electrical energy. Computers and people are dense as well,
due to the complexity of information modeled by their electrical
* The Cloud nature of matter is always co-located with the matter
itself - if the matter moves, so does the cloudstuff.
* The overlapping of electromagnetic fields and transmissions creates
a sort of 'fog' of cloudstuff. It isn't 'solid', but acts as the
medium for sensing in the Cloud. It can act like clouds and form
independent currents of energy, walls of obscuring fog, etc. This is
usually referred to as the Cloud, a fog or 'wisps' of cloud'.
* This fog can be coalesced into denser material, which is what people
usually mean when they talk about 'Cloudstuff' proper. This denser
material can be used to make 'mechanisms' that operate wholly in the
* Cloudstuff has no matter component. It can pass through matter and
other cloud stuff. However, the 'density' of the cloudstuff it passes
through can slow it's movement, or disrupt its integrity (and vice
* Matter that has significant electrical properties can affect the
movement of cloudstuff - large amounts of water will disrupt it
significantly, insulators will slow the movement of cloudstuff
significantly, metals impede it less than other matter, etc.
* Because of its nature, cloudstuff can directly effect
electromagnetic systems. It can affect electrical flows, lightning,
etc. It can be used to disrupt, shutdown or control electrical
circuits and motors, affect compasses or magnetic media, affect
biological systems (especially nervous systems), and even affect
electromagnetic radiation (light, radio waves, radiation, etc). Those
who can manipulate Cloudstuff can form it to cause these effects.
* Those who can perceive the Cloud tend to see it as sensory
impressions, as their brains interpret the input. This allows them to
sense electrical fields, magnetic fields and electromagnetic radiation
directly. With enough practice, or (more likely) the help of
Cloud-based mechanisms, this means these individuals can pick up radio
transmissions, affect computers through the cloud and even simulate
types of telepathy and aura reading by interacting with the electrical
systems of organisms directly.
* Cloudstuff can only be formed where the Cloud exists. This means it
cannot be formed in rural areas, inside Faraday cages, etc.
* Cloudstuff can exist outside of the Cloud, but require a steady
electrical power source to not disperse within minutes.
Each person has a personal informational construct connected to their
consciousness called a 'runtime'. This is a natural extension of the
conscious mind. This runtime is a metaphysical space in which
information can be processed and transformed, like having an 'onboard
computer'. Training allows one to access their own runtime and
'program' in that space.
Features of Runtimes:
* Runtimes are a feature of sapient minds. All sapient minds have one,
and no non-sapient minds have one.
* Runtimes can only affect information, thought and the person they
care connected to. Information processing is the easiest to do,
followed by thought and sensory processing/modification. Next are
bodily systems like the nervous system and endocrine systems.
Particularly complex programming can reach down into the lower layers
of the organism, down even to the cellular and DNA levels.
* Runtimes can run programs that speed up thoughts, that modify
personality traits, change/enhance sensory data, etc. They can also be
used to create constructs that don't exist naturally in the human
mind, such as emulating the thought processes of other organisms such
as animals or 'aliens'.
* Runtimes can interface with each other. Each runtime has a
'namespace', which is akin to a True Name. To connect, you have to
have the namespace of other person's runtime. Once you connect, you
have to be able to interface. You can either broadcast information
into the runtime (which will handle it as it sees fit) or 'hack into'
the runtime to use its functions directly.
* Hacking a runtime requires the namespace connection, but also being
able to interpret the runtime's functionality. This is akin to
decrypting its data, and then interfacing. To interface, you either
have to 'speak' to it directly or build a program that interprets.
Speaking directly requires that you start operating your runtime in
the same manner as theirs. Doing this repeatedly tends to adjust your
runtime to fit theirs, and thus modify your thoughts and body to match
* Making a connection only requires knowledge of the person's
namespace. Distance is no factor once a namespace is known.
* Finding our a namespace requires being given the namespace through
some medium, or a length discovery which has to be done within line of
sight or through some other mental connection.
Dreamscapes are virtual realms that multiple entities can inhabit.
These metaphysical constructs are like individual astral planes, and
operate according to their own rules. Connecting to them is similar to
Features of Dreamscapes:
* Dreamscapes need to be 'run' somewhere - it needs some sort of
server system to maintain it. This can be a physical system, a
Cloud-based system or some other system.
* Those who create a dreamscape define the original parameters of the
dreamscape. That could include the ability to change the parameters of
the dreamscape later.
* Connecting to a Dreamscape is a wholly immersive experience. The
person's body is in a sort of coma while connected. Dreamscapes can
present to any and all senses, or senses that may not exist.
* Connecting to a Dreamscape requires some mechanism - Cloud-based
mechanism, cybernetic enhancements, runtime programs, VR setups in
sensory deprivation tanks, etc.
* If a person's body is killed while they are connected, their
consciousness stays in the Dreamscape.
* If a person's body is alive, they can always 'disconnect' from the
Dreamscape as an act of will.
* If a Dreamscape is shutdown or destroyed while someone is in it,
they are immediately ejected to their body (unless their body is dead
- then they are destroyed).
* A person's mind can't be destroyed in a Dreamscape. It can only be
ejected. However, they can be subjected to all forms of pain.
Figments are tiny metaphysical constructs that can manifest in the
physical world as abstract entities of force and energy. Humans can
learn to create fragments through extensive mental training.
Features of figments:
* Figments are constructs of pure force and energy. They can be used
to simulate kinetic force, or basic energies like heat and light.
However, they are minuscule in scope and capability (it would take
dozens working in concert to generate enough energy to light a match).
* Creating a single figment is an extremely difficult and lengthy
process. However, figments can be made semi-autonomous and are capable
of self-replication, like spiritual nanites. So it's much more
possible to create a set of figments create a figment swarm that one
can interact with.
* It takes time for figments to create more figments. They can be
destroyed or disposed of instantaneously, however.
* Figments don't last long - the average existence of a figment is a
day or so. With a bit of time and design, one CAN create a 'swarm' of
figments that are self-sustaining/regenerating for longer periods of
* Another cannot control a person's figments unless that is capability
the creator has built into them.
Posted via email from Xyphoid Musings